This course is designed to provide vocational training for people who intend to become tourist guides. The TIC has invited several training institutes to tender for the conduct of the course. Students who have completed the course are allowed to take the examinations under the Tourist Guide Accreditation System to be organised by the TIC and apply for the Tourist Guide Pass if they pass the examinations concerned.
- 18 years old or above;
- Holders of the Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card, or holders of the Hong Kong Identity Card who are not subject to any condition of stay;
- Secondary school graduates [Note 1] or equivalent, or above; and
- Grade E or above in Chinese Language or English Language in the HKCEE, or equivalent, or Level 2 or above in Chinese Language or English Language in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination [Note 2], or equivalent.
Definition of “secondary school graduates”:
- Completion of Form 5 or Year 11 under the old secondary education system (5-2-3 education system) of Hong Kong or the British-style education system; or
- Completion of Senior Secondary 3 or the 12th Grade under the new secondary education system (3-3-4 education system) of Hong Kong or the US-style education system.
People with higher academic qualifications than secondary school graduates can be exempted from producing the certificates mentioned in point 4 above.
Part I (70 hours)
- Hong Kong’s tourism industry and tour-guiding concepts (10.5 hours)
- Professional ethics of tourist guides (3.5 hours)
- Tour-guiding skills (24.5 hours)
- Tourist behaviour and cultural characteristics (14 hours)
- Knowledge on Hong Kong (14 hours)
- Knowledge on mainland China (3.5 hours)
Part II (80 hours)
- Field trips, practical exercises and evaluation
The Pre-service Tourist Guide Training Course (Phase VII) is available from 1 September 2017 until 31 August 2021.
For those interested in the Pre-service Tourist Guide Training Course (Phase VII) conducted in English, please contact the TIC Industry Training Department.
For those interested in the Pre-service Tourist Guide Training Course (Phase VII) conducted in Chinese and organised by the following training institutes, please contact the training institutes direct for the commencement date and venue:
|Training institutes*||Tel. No.||Course fee|
|Caritas Institute of Community Education||3568-8688||HK$8,430|
|HKCT Group Limited (Hong Kong College of Technology)||2711-9820||HK$7,700|
|HKFTU Occupational Retraining Centre||2715-6671||HK$7,800|
*In alphabetic order
150 hours in total