TIA Accredited CPD Activity for Tourist Guides
( A - Consolidation and Updating of Knowledge)
Last Update: 2023-01-26
People submitting their application for the Tourist Guide Licence on or after 1 September 2022 are required to fulfil the CPD requirement which is only considered complied with if all courses or activities are completed within the validity period of the tourist guide licence. In other words, completion of courses or activities while the licence has already expired will not be accepted.
‘Knowledge on Hong Kong’ Quiz, which is one of the three elements of the Continuing Professional Development Scheme specified by the Travel Industry Authority for Tourist Guides, aims to help the licenced tourist guides to consolidate and update their knowledge on Hong Kong. Tourist guides must pass this quiz before renewing their licence.
C. Examination Format
The Quiz contains 40 multiple-choice questions. The duration is 1 hour 30 minutes. Candidates may choose the test paper in Chinese or English.
All the questions are taken from the “Knowledge on Hong Kong Quiz - Revision Notes” which will be e-mailed to the candidates once their applications are accepted.
Each question paper contains 40 questions. Candidates must answer at least 32 questions correctly in order to pass the Quiz.
F. Application for ‘Knowledge on Hong Kong’ Quiz
1. Complete the Application Form for ‘Knowledge on Hong Kong’ Quiz.
2. Return the completed form and necessary fees to the TIC Industry Training Department by post or in person on or before the deadline for application. For submission by post, the deadline is based on the stamp chop date.
3. Only copy of deposit slip for cash (BOCHK a/c: 031-349-1-038340-4) / crossed cheques (payable to ‘Travel Industry Council of Hong Kong’) are accepted for application by post. The applicant’s name and Tourist Guide Licence number should be written on the back of the deposit slip or the crossed cheque. Cash is acceptable for submission of application in person.
4. Once an application is accepted, the candidate will receive by e-mail a set of ‘Important Notes to Candidates’ and ‘Knowledge on Hong Kong Quiz – Revision Notes’ for preparation for the Quiz. No refund will be made after the acceptance of application.
5. Should an application be rejected or the Quiz be full or cancelled, the fee (if paid) will be returned in the form of a cheque by post.
6. Should an applicant not receive a set of ‘Important Notes to Candidates’ and ‘Knowledge on Hong Kong Quiz – Revision Notes’ for preparation for the Quiz ONE WEEK after received the notice of enrolment, please contact the TIC Industry Training Department on 2807-1199.
G. Quiz timetable and application deadline
|Quiz code||Quiz date||Quiz time||Application deadline|
|TIC/HKQ/202301||2023-03-09 (Thursday)||10:30 am – 12:00 pm||2023-02-24 (Friday)|
|TIC/HKQ/202302||2023-05-11 (Thursday)||10:30 am – 12:00 pm||2023-04-28 (Friday)|
|TIC/HKQ/202303||2023-07-06 (Thursday)||10:30 am – 12:00 pm||2023-06-23 (Friday)|
|TIC/HKQ/202304||2023-09-07 (Thursday)||10:30 am – 12:00 pm||2023-08-25 (Friday)|
|2023-11-09 (Thursday)||10:30 am - 12:00 noon||2023-10-27 (Friday)|
I. Enquiries on examination arrangements
1. A maximum of 25 people is limited for each ‘Knowledge on Hong Kong’ Quiz.
2. The Quiz timetable will be changed in light of the real time public health situation and the relevant anti-epidemic measures.
3. Please visit the TIC’s website or contact the staff of the TIC Industry Training Department on 2807-1199 for the quiz schedule.
J. Arrangement for absence of quiz*
1. Absence will be regarded as giving up the quiz and are required to submit a new application and fees for a re-sit.
2. Candidates who cannot sit the quiz must inform the TIC seven working day before the quiz date by phone or e-mail. Any postponement of quiz will be required an administration fee. The new quiz will be arranged within six months according to previous quiz.
3. Candidates who cannot sit the quiz for urgent public health considerations must inform the TIC one working day before the quiz date by phone or e-mail. Any postponement of quiz will be required an administration fee. The new quiz will be arranged within two months according to previous quiz.
4. Request for quiz postponement will not be accepted for other personal reasons.
- Candidates who are late after the published starting time of quiz will be regarded as giving up the quiz and will NOT be permitted to enter the quiz venue.
- Administration Fee for amendment of quiz date: HK$100
K. Notes on Collection of Personal Data
1. The personal data provided in this application form will be used by the Travel Industry Council of Hong Kong (TIC) for the following purposes:
- to process the quiz application and registration;
- to maintain applicants’ records in the TIC;
- to issue the quiz results to qualified applicants;
- to disseminate information of the TIC (including course information) by any means (including SMS, email, fax, post, etc.);
- provide the quiz information to Travel Industry Authority for verification; and
- any other related purposes.
2. Applicants are advised to provide sufficient information as far as possible, otherwise their applications may be unable to be processed.
3. Applicants will be required to produce their HKID Card in person for verification purposes, and staff of the TIC will only sign the application form after verifying the contents of the applicant’s HKID Card. If an applicant is unable to come to the TIC in person, the applicant may submit a copy of his/her HKID Card by post or by fax but any such copy shall be retained until such time as the applicant concerned is able to produce his/her HKID Card in person for verification purposes. The TIC reserves the right to require the production and to make and retain copies of an applicant’s HKID Card in any circumstances which are permitted by law.
4. The TIC will keep the personal data of applicants confidential but may provide such data to any other person or his/her representative for any one or more of the purposes set out in paragraph 1 above.
5. According to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, applicants have the right to:
- ascertain whether their personal data are held by the TIC;
- obtain a copy of the data mentioned in paragraph 5(i); and
- correct their personal data held by the TIC.
Applicants should provide the TIC with sufficient information in order for their identity to be determined, otherwise their data access request may be rejected. The TIC may impose a fee on any such request.
6. Any request for access to personal data should be made in writing and addressed to the TIC Industry Training Department at Rooms 1706-09, Fortress Tower, 250 King’s Road, North Point, Hong Kong.
L. Funding Scheme
Applicants with a valid Tourist Guide License / Tour Escort License are eligible to apply for the subsidy. Please click here to view the details.
For any further enquiries, please contact the TIC Industry Training Department on 2807-1199 during office hours.
Monday - Friday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm; 2:00 – 5:30 pm
(Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays)